Could it be named Rock God Brewing Co. in honor of our rocky Susquehanna River…?
Thank you, Chris Donato, for organizing! We’ll be starting at the boat launch at the Bloomsburg Airport and taking out at the old Danville Ferry launch, just upstream of the Danville-Riverside bridge. We’re almost sure to see some eagles along the way, plus great blue herons, and the always pretty scenery along our favorite river!
Rock God Brewing is usually closed Sundays, but they’ll kindly take beer orders from us by special arrangement, to be delivered to the picnic grove! As soon as we get the menu, we’ll post it below the brewery logo – prices include taxes. Bring exact change!
Then we’re heading to Chris Donato’s beautiful picnic area by Maus Creek for for potluck dinner to go with our brews. It’s a gorgeous place, complete with two swimming/fishing holes and a fire pit. So fresh grilled fish is a distinct possibility! She’d also be thrilled if someone brought a guitar to play.
You can set up your own shuttle, or Dave Decoteau will shuttle you and your boat for $10. If you don’t have a boat, Dave will rent you one for $35. Both prices are special to Canoe and Brew. To arrange for a shuttle, a boat, or both, click here.
Got questions? Contact Chris Donato at 570-204-8689 or email@example.com.
Register for this event HERE! Sign up for your potluck contribution HERE – or you can surprise us!
Bring your own growler to fill, or buy a new, souvenir Rock Gods growler for $6.50. Then pick you want from the menu below – which includes tax – and bring exact change. We’ll take your order when you show up for the shuttle, and bring it to the picnic grove.
Brewery: Rock God Brewing Co.
Outfitter: Riverside Adventures
FIRST: meet at Montgomery Park/Old Danville Ferry Launch (link to map here) to load boats, drop off growlers and place beer orders.
River Beginning: Bloomsburg Boat Launch
River Finish: Old Danville Ferry Launch
Total Miles: 13 miles
Estimated Time on the River : 4.5 to 6 hours (depending on river conditions)
- 9:30 AM: Meet at Montgomery Park/Old Danville Ferry Launch to put in orders for growlers and load boats for shuttle.
- 10:30 AM: Launch at Bloomsburg Boat Launch. This is a Fish and Boat Commission launch, so your boat needs a launch permit to use it. Don’t have a launch permit? No problem – we’ll find a place nearby where you can launch without one – just let us know. Or you can buy a sticker and support the convenient placement of boat ramps and portapotties here. They’re only $12/year, or $22 for two years.
- 3 – 4:30 PM (Depending on river conditions.): Finish at the Old Danville Ferry Launch.
- Whenever we get off the river: Head to Donatos’ Grove (generously opened to Canoe and Brew by our kind Organizer.). Here’s a map. And here are the written directions: From Wendy’s in Danville (at the corner of routes 11 and 54,) take 54E, then turn left on 642W towards Milton. Go exactly 1 mile on 642 W. Turn right on Old Furnace Rd. You will see the Donato farm on the right, 2 big barns (one used to be the Arizona Cafe and Christmas Shop). Old Furnace Rd runs along the side of the farm. Follow Old Furnace Rd about a half a mile. You’ll pass a big red house on the right (Shipe family), and you’ll see an old iron furnace on the left. Cross an old stone bridge and then right before you reach a crossroad, take a right into the field. Chris Donato will put balloons out to show you where the turn is. Drive slowly through the field and you will reach a copse of trees. You’ll see a mowed area for parking. Just beyond the trees is a picnic area along Maus Creek.
- If it’s too muddy, we’ll go to the former Arizona Cafe, which Chris’ family owns, instead. It’s nearby.